Maintenance of a website are the basics that keep it safe and running fast. WordPress by itself is cheap: The cost of a domain name and hosting. But WordPress done properly needs maintenance.
If your real estate website is not on a real estate hosted platform like myRealPage or RealtyNinja, etc., then chances are you have a WordPress website. And, who maintains your real estate WordPress website? You do. WordPress websites need to be maintained – all websites do.
Your Real Estate WordPress Maintenance Primer
The goal is to avoid a huge pain in the derriere by leaving things unchecked for too long. Things like malicious hacks, breaking or going offline. Keeping your real estate website and hosting abreast with the latest updates is key.
Since the beginning of December 2018 there have been 4 releases in the WordPress platform, including the release of version 5.0 called Bebo.
- January 9, 2019 WordPress 5.0.3 – Maintenance Release
- December 19, 2018 WordPress 5.0.2 – Maintenance Release
- December 13, 2018 WordPress 5.0.1 – Security Release
- December 6, 2018 WordPress 5.0 – “Bebo”
- See them all here wordpress.org/news/category/releases/
WordPress can be set to auto update the maintenance releases but will need help on version releases. It will not auto update plugins or the theme. Here are the steps you need to take to update your site.
- Please back-up your website before doing anything
- Investigate compatibility with the theme, plugins and hosting
- Update the theme if required and hard refresh the site to test
- Update plugins if required and hard refresh the site to test
- Update WordPress and hard refresh the site to test
Here is the WordPress Manual for details: codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress
That’s not all…
Other things to consider is your hosting. Security updates for PHP 5.6 have ended and will become a security liability.
When updating to WordPress 5.0 (Bebo), decide whether to use Classic Editor or Gutenberg Editor.
We’re here to help if you need it.